Friday, December 18, 2009

Art410: Post #21


Second community art event: The Inaugural Exhibition/Tenderloin Dynamic @ GAFFTA...

I went to this a few weeks ago (it might of been a month actually?) I just didn't have time till now to blog about it. Anyways, how have I never seen this art gallery before!? I've been to The Warfield so many times that I've lost count and I've never noticed this gem before. Thanks Paula for recommending this place as one of our community art events, I really liked the gallery.

On the main floor, there was tons of abstract artworks for the Inaugural Exhibition. In one room there was this flat platform that was created by triangle shapes and every few seconds different shades of colors would appear and then vanish. I stood there for a couple of minutes just gazing at all the illuminated colors. From afar the platform also reminded me of a DNA strand by just the way it was placed, but when I looked at it close up I noticed how all the edges seemed cracked as if the platform was made out of ice. I had such an urge to stand on it for some reason as well, but I wasn't sure if I could so I went along to another aspect of the gallery.

After spending time admiring the artworks on the first floor, I made my way upstairs to the Tenderloin Dynamic exhibit. The first thing that came to mind as I looked at all the maps and news clippings was wow there's a lot of information, they really did a great job with their research. Throughout this exhibit I wrote down a ton of notes because they really did post some useful information like if you ever need a cab make your way towards Geary St. because it's always in constant motion with cab drivers. In addition, the heaviest crime rate is in between Turk St. and Ellis St. after hours so be careful if you're in that area. They also mapped out where all the trees and parks were in the area and I found it interesting that between Turk St and Ellis St. is where the majority of the trees were located. Could that be the city trying to cover up their crime rate with greenery or is it an advantage for burglars/muggers since it's probably darker in these areas due to the trees or maybe both? I could go on and on because there was so much information given in the Tenderloin Dynamic, but that was one of the things I kept thinking about after I left the gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment