Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Art410: Post #15


My
Culture Jamming Project...

I actually ended up working with the Sabritas logo, a Mexican logo for chips, which are pretty much the Doritos of Mexico. The Sabritas company is under the PepsiCo corporation (Pepsi-Cola merged with Frito-Lay), which is one of the elite manufacturers of junk foods/fast foods in the world. PepsiCo alone is associated with so many brands and corporations like Starbucks Coffee, most carbonated soft drinks in America like Mountain Dew, and were even partnered with popular fast food restaurants like KFC and Taco Bell at one point. As a result, I wanted to expose childhood obesity through my version of the Sabritas logo since the logo is very appealing towards children due to the cute smiling face of it.


I will post my kmz file of GoogleEarth later on today that describes the locations I chose for posting my culture jamming logo. I chose these popular Mexican grocery/produce stores in Hayward that carry Sabritas because I knew they sold the product and because of its huge consumer impact in Hayward. These stores are always packed whenever I walk in for my usual pack of tortillas or what have you. Plus, I always notice how children give their parents hard times when they're at the cash register because they want an unhealthy snack like candy, soda, or chips (like Sabritas) and since the parents don't wish to deal with their child crying/whining in public they'll simply buy it for them. It's issues like these that are causing so much childhood obesity in the world and corporations like PepsiCo aren't helping one bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment