Friday, September 4, 2009

Art410: Post #1


In response to
Paragraphs on Conceptual Art by Sol Lewitt...

Although Lewitt was incredibly condescending with many of his statements, I agreed with much of his ramblings in regards to conceptual art. When talking about the importance of having a meaning behind an art piece, Lewitt said, "Different people will understand the same thing in a different way." In return, no matter what the artist initiates the meaning behind the artwork to be, it's never going to be confined to only that meaning. I completely agreed with this statement because I thought of it in relation to lyrics; although a songwriter will have his/her own meanings behind the song, the fans will always connect in various ways with the song. Now I know lyrics wouldn't really be classified as conceptual art, but this idea stretches far beyond only conceptual art and can be said about any type of art.

Another statement that stood out when reading Lewitt's writing was how not only the final result of an art piece was of great importance, but as well as the process that was taken in account when creating the artwork. I remember assembling a mosaic for one of my art classes a few years ago and taking photos of the art piece as I went along in completing it. I thought it would be interesting to see the steps that I went through to create the final result of the mosaic, and I cherished them just as much as the final result. I thought I'd share them just so you'd get a visual:


No comments:

Post a Comment